You became a journalist for a reason — you have a passion for writing and reporting and also want to be a force for good in this world. We are looking for someone with tremendous energy and enthusiasm to help us excel at covering our great city in print, on the web and on social media.
The ideal candidate would feel comfortable covering a press conference on a new development, doing an on-the-fly interview at that press conference to get an angle others don’t have, posting the story on the web and social later that day — and then developing that story further to run in the magazine.
In between doing all that, you might meet with other editors to brainstorm a cover package, coach an intern on a story and assist with clerical duties. This job is for those who thrive under pressure and hate being bored.
For nearly 50 years, Cleveland Magazine has been a training ground for award-winning writers and reporters. If that’s your goal, we’d love to hear from you.
Writing stories for the magazine and the website. Assigning and editing stories. Posting stories to the website and social media. Assigning fact checking. Some copy editing. Managing large cover stories and special sections. Collaborating with art directors. Proofing and correcting pages in InCopy/InDesign.
- A degree in journalism, English or a related field. Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- 3-5 clips that show skill at writing
- Must excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Must take direction well but also thrive at working independently.
- Must have strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to handle a number of projects simultaneously.
- Solid grounding in journalism ethics and values
- Savvy on social media, including Instagram and TikTok
- Proficient in Excel
- Knowledge of AP style
- Strong copy-editing skills a plus
Send cover letter with your desired salary range along with resume and work samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org. (SUBJECT LINE: Associate Editor Application). No phone calls, please. Qualified candidates will be contacted.