Since 1972, Cleveland Magazine has told the story of Northeast Ohio to passionate Clevelanders. Covering Things to Do, Food & Drink, Home & Style and Current Events, the magazine is defined by its service journalism, personality profiles and immersive feature storytelling. While the publication started as a monthly print magazine, readers now enjoy daily content via email newsletters and social media. These digital properties carry the torch of the still-running, thick-as-ever, award-winning print magazine.
The ideal candidate would feel comfortable covering a press conference on a new development, doing an on-the-fly interview at that press conference to get an angle other people don’t have, taking a photo or a video with their phone, posting the story on the web and social later that day — and then developing that story further to run in the magazine. In between doing all that, you might meet with other editors to brainstorm a cover package, coach an intern on a story, conduct a Q&A or assist with clerical duties. This job is for someone with tremendous energy and enthusiasm to help us excel at covering our great city in print, on digital and on social media.
Writing stories for the magazine and the website. Assigning and editing stories. Posting stories to the website and social media. Assigning fact checking. Some copy editing. Managing large cover stories and special sections. Collaborating with art directors. Covering events. Proofing and correcting pages in InCopy/InDesign.
- A degree in journalism, communications, English, digital media or a related field is preferred.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- An understanding of digital media and social media.
- The ability to take photos and videos with a smartphone.
- Must excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to handle several projects simultaneously.
- Solid grounding in journalism ethics and values.
- Knowledge of AP style and SEO best practices.
- Strong copy-editing skills is a plus.
- Experience managing email newsletters is a plus.
- 3 clips that show skill at writing
- 3 examples of social media content
Send cover letter with your desired salary range along with resume and work samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Associate Editor” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Qualified candidates will be contacted.